Since my Style & Sewing posts seem to spur an interest for sewing among a lot (yey! got kakis!) with many many comments (woohoo!), I present you… jeng jeng jeng…
Top 5 reasons why I love to sew;
- I get to create my own masterpieces. I know when I go out, nobody else has the exact same thing as me.
- I can’t find my right size of clothing. Due to my oh-so-special size of not an adult, yet not a kid size, I usually have difficulties finding the “right” size clothing. U know, the one that fits you perfectly. Especially baju kurung time raya – very, very difficult… Let’s say I want to buy this piece of jubah with very pretty trimmings on the fabric but it’s too long. I cannot possibly cut that part of fabric away according to my height because by altering the length then I will be cutting off the trimmings too! So sayang right?
- You can make so many different creations with the one piece of fabric – a dress, a purse, a bag… It’s up to your own creative, unique, weird mind.
- I love various colours & textures. I am filled with ecstasy (ecstaSy not ecstaCy the drug that gets u high & by) when u put me in Spotlight or the array of shops at Arab Street or Joo Chiat just fabric shopping. When I shop for fabric, I don’t necessarily buy. I like to imagine what I can do with the fabric & that alone can make me excited.
- Sewing is an excellent stress reliever for me. As a hobby of course. It lets me take my mind off other things and focus completely on the garment/ project I’m making at the very moment. Which is why I don’t take personalised orders for clothes – baju kurung esp, because when u sew for other people for money, according to their wants ie. as a tailor/seamstress, it becomes work. And customers can be very demanding. Later wrong size la, cannot fit la, too tight/ too loose… I become stress. I don’t mind making garments according to standard sizes & selling them, but maybe not on a customization basis. I can, however, gladly recommend you to my aunt , who is excellent at sewing. Actually she’s the one responsible for my sewing obsession.
Now you, yes YOU, tell me why y’all want to learn how to sew. And also what is it that you would like to learn. Think about it thoroughly & spam my comments box ok?
Why? Coz teacher must prepare syllabus according to student’s interest mah… :D